Saturday, January 21, 2012

Midwestern Foods.

Pot lucks are a big deal around here, and in the month I've been here I've been to at least five. While plant people cook delicious things, there are some Midwestern delights that I've been discovering and I thought I would take the time to share with you.

The biggest deal, so far, is the taco pizza.


This is a pizza that, in addition to the normal cheese and tomato sauce, is loaded with shredded lettuce and crushed Doritos after it's done cooking. When you're ready to chow down, squirt taco sauce all over the top of that and consume. I tried it because I felt like I had to. And it wasn't very good. In fact, all pizza here is really quite awful. We're talking cheap-grocery-store-pizza-that's-sort-of-reheated-and-delivered-to-you awful.


What you see here is two day old taco pizza, and to 'jazz it up' a bit, my coworkers added some cheese dip and freshly crushed tortilla chips. And of course, more taco sauce.

I don't necessarily dislike midwestern food, but I don't really want to eat it. And since I'm trying really hard to not spend money, I haven't been going out anyway - I instead stick to my super-ific bachelor eating style. I make a big dish of something delicious to eat during the week for lunches, but I get rather lazy and cost-efficient with dinners - yogurt and toast, maybe some pasta if I'm adventurous, or canned soup if I have it. And because I've only been living in my place a few weeks, I haven't much in the way of spices. It's actually kind of sad and hilarious, all at the same time.

I haven't really started to miss any California food yet, though I've been feeling the craving for a good burrito coming on. I'm not desperate enough yet to try what Decorah has to offer. But, I did get to eat in town today and I had a really excellent sandwich made with castrated roosters and muenster! I want to go back and eat everything 'Ede's and the Angry Pickle' has to offer, actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment